- What is the difference between Historiography and History?
Whilst History is the study of people, ideas and events of the past, Historiography is the study of the writing or documentation of this history.
- What is African Historiography?
African Historiography is the study of the history of “African history”. It looks at how African historical narratives were documented from time past i.e from antiquity to modern day. Considering sources such as oral tradition and Egyptian hieroglyphs as the earliest form of historical documentation, the study looks at how African historical narratives have been told over the course of time.
- How different is this course from other African historiography courses?
Our course aims to give students a robust understanding of the building blocks of historical practice in the African tradition. The course will be delivered online via recorded lectures and curated readings and takes only 12 weeks to complete.
The course is very flexible to allow all busy professionals and students to take it at their convenience.
The course captures Africa’s unique and varied methods of recording history and documenting eventsIt provides a brilliant introduction to over 600 years of African history writing and recitation.
- Has the course been launched already? If yes, is it too late for me to register?
African Historiography and Approaches to History course is open for registration. We have rolling start dates for this course so you can sign up at any time.
- How long will the course run for?
Depending on the pace of the student, the course may be completed in 10- 12 weeks.
- What will the course entail?
The African History Project hopes to give students an understanding of the place of history in African societies; what Africans and others have written about African history from antiquity to the present day, and how historians engage with African historical narratives today. Hence, the course features the following modules:
- What is History – Introduction to African Philosophy of History
- Why do we do History? – Introduction to the Psychology of History
- How have we done History? – Introduction to African Historiography
- How should we do history? – Introduction to Approaches to African History
Kindly click here to find out.
- How do I know if this course is for me?
For African history students hoping to bolster their preparation for graduate school or to study the subject at a higher level, our short course in African Historiography and Approaches to History is a great place to start. It is also a great place for history enthusiasts to start as on their African history journey.
- I work long hours and have other family commitments, can I still take the course?
At the African History Project, we understand the various responsibilities our students may be handling so our courses are designed to be as convenient and flexible as possible.
- How do I apply?
Please see the link below to enrol: