Introduction to Teaching Black History
- Course Title: Introduction to Teaching Black History
- Type of Course: Short Course, CPD
- Department: Education
- Duration: up to 2 weeks
- Fee: £29
- Start date: rolling, enrol at any time
- Seminars: Saturdays, 7pm – 8.30pm (London), Live on Zoom (optional)
- Lecture: Pre-Recorded, supported by curated reading lists, knowledge questions and tutor support
- Assessment: 500-word essay (optional)
This Short Course introduces teachers to Black history and its place in the curriculum, helping them to enhance their professional standing in the design and delivery of robust and diverse history programmes.
Educators will be introduced to Black history as a subject, exploring what does and does not constitute Black history. Using the British National Curriculum at KS3 as a Case Study, educators will explore the possibilities for integrating Black historical narratives into their curricula. In addition, educators will be introduced to African approaches to history, allowing them to explore the historical techniques that will help them to deliver more robust Black history lessons. Thus, irrespective of your national curriculum, this is an essential course for any educator interested in introducing or enhancing their Black history programmes
This is a great introductory course ahead of an Advanced Subject Knowledge course such as our short course in Teaching Black History as British History or our short Course in Teaching Black History as World History.
The short course can be taken as a standalone course or as part of the Foundation Certificate in Teaching Black History in Schools.
By the end of this module, students are expected to understand:
- What constitutes Black history
- How Black History can be integrated into key stage three history teaching
- How African approaches to history can be used to enhance lesson design and delivery
Apeike Umolu is the founder of the African History Project. She is an educator and historian with over 15 years of experience supporting students in the attainment of academic excellence. Specialising in African history, she is a passionate historian and has undertaken historical studies at the University of Oxford. She researches extensively on West African political history and is working on her first book On Black Consciousness.
- What is Black History?
- Black History – A Critical Evaluation of the National Curriculum
- Introduction to African Approaches to History
The lectures are delivered on an online learning platform through recorded video lectures, and supported by curated reading lists, knowledge questions and tutor support.
To find out more about our lectures, please click here.
Seminars are delivered live on Zoom on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. Students are encouraged to attend and participate in all the seminars held while they are enrolled.
To find out more about our seminars, please click here.
Students have 2 weeks from registration to complete the course.
- 500-word essay
- Seminar attendance and participation
To find out more about our Assignments click here.
On successful completion of the course and assessment, participants will be issued with a Certificate of Completion and be eligible for an academic reference.
Note for Schools and Educators
This course is relevant to all humanities and social science teachers.
Schools, Schools Districts and School Consortiums
- This course can be delivered online through flexible on-demand learning to individual educators. Participants are also enrolled on and encouraged to attend our Seminar Series.
- This course can also be delivered online through a 1-day live workshop with a minimum of 5 delegates.
- This course can also be delivered face-to-face through a 1-day live workshop with a minimum of 10 delegates. A travel surcharge will apply.
Need to pay by invoice?
If you are a school or educational institution and need to pay by invoice, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- School Name and Address
- Email address to send the invoice to
- Participant(s) name(s) and email address(es)
We will contact you within 24 hours with the invoice and information about next steps.
Have a question? Please send us an email to email@example.com
- Lectures 4
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 2 Weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Participants 16
- Resources Yes